Adopt an animal from our shelter! Before visiting the shelter, you can view the dogs and puppies, cats and kittens, rabbits, and other small animals shown available for adoption in our online adoption listings. CAP attempts to work with everyone who is interested in adopting an animal and giving it a new forever home, however CAP does reserve the right to refuse an adoption application for reasons including, but not limited to: falsified information on application, current identification and address cannot be verified or if the adoption is not in the best interest of the animal and the adopter. Información de adopción española
TEMPORARY ADOPTION PROCEDURES DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Our adoption lobby is now open to the public on an appointment only basis. If you are interested in scheduling an appointment to see our animals, please submit an adoption application first. We will review your application and contact you within 48 hours to set up an appointment. We are working with all interested parties on a first-come-first-served basis, based on the shelter visit and we are not able to reserve a specific pet. In general, if an animal is on our website, it is available currently and if it is no longer on the website, it has already been adopted. We can not respond to email inquiries about whether a certain pet is still available or not. If you have further questions about the pet (personality, size, etc.) please call the shelter at 281-497-0591.
Staff will respond as soon as possible to review your application and arrange a day & time for you to visit the shelter.
Pet Adoption Applications
Pet Adoption Requirements
- 18 years of age with a current Drivers License or ID
- Proof of current address - Drivers License, Utility Bill, Mail, Car Insurance, etc.
- Landlord approval if you rent - please verify with your landlord what breed or size restrictions may be in place.
- Permission of all adults living at the residence
- Other animals residing with you must be current on vaccinations and dogs must be on heartworm prevention
Pet Adoption Fees
- Dogs over 15lbs - $99
- Puppies (6 months and younger) - $129
- Small Dogs 15lbs and under - $129
- Cats (up to 5 years) - $50
- Senior Cats (5+ years) - $25
- Kittens (6 months and younger) - $84
- Bunnies - $45 or 2 Bunnies - $65
- Guinea Pigs $20 or 2 guinea Pigs - $30
- Ferrets $89
- Hamsters/Rats/Gerbils - $10
- Call for information on animals not listed here.
- VIP (Very Important Pet!) Program: Any animal who has been at the shelter and available for adoption for more than 1 month can be adopted for 50% of regular adoption fee.
- Special Senior Citizen (60 yrs +) No charge for an animal 7 yrs or older.
- 50% of adoption fees waived for military personnel and veterans. (proof of eligibility required)
- A second dog or puppy, adopted within 30 days of the first adoption is adoptable at a $20 discount.
- A second cat or kitten, when adopted within 30 days, is free!
- Any dog/puppy adopted at the same time as a cat/kitten will be adoptable at a $20 discount.
Our Summer Lovin' Adoption Event runs from June 1st to August 31st, 2020! Adoption fees are reduced by 50% thanks to the generous sponsorship of West Houston Subaru!
CAP adoption fees include a variety of services - age-appropriate vaccinations, canine heartworm and feline leukemia tests, spaying/neutering, deworming treatment, microchipping to name a few - the total value of which exceeds $450. In addition, these minimal adoption fees cover only part of the each animal's stay at our shelter - please help us keep adoption fees low while maintaining the high quality of care for the animals in our charge by donating and/or volunteering.