Walk-In visits are back, we're so excited to see you at the shelter!
Starting Wednesday, 6/9/2021 Citizens for Animal Protection (CAP) will welcome potential adopters on a walk-in basis. We will no longer be accepting adoption applications via email, or scheduling appointments to visit.
Up to five (5) families can visit the shelter at the same time. Additional families will be given a pager and kindly asked to wait outside until the pager signals we are ready to let you in.
Before visiting the shelter, you can view the dogs and puppies, cats and kittens, rabbits, and other small animals shown available for adoption in our online adoption listings. Our website updates in real-time, so if you see a pet listed then they are available for adoption. As soon as an adoption is completed, the pet will be removed from the website.
CAP attempts to work with everyone who is interested in adopting an animal and giving it a new forever home, however CAP does reserve the right to refuse an adoption application for reasons including, but not limited to: falsified information on application, current identification and address cannot be verified or if the adoption is not in the best interest of the animal and the adopter. Información de adopción española
Adoption Lobby Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday 12pm - 5pm; Friday, Saturday & Sunday 11am - 5pm
For complete hours and directions visit: Hours / Maps
Pet Adoption Applications
We do not accept/approve applications online, but you are welcome to print and complete an application to bring with you when you visit.
Pet Adoption Requirements
- 18 years of age with a current Drivers License or ID
- Proof of current address - Drivers License, Utility Bill, Mail, Car Insurance, etc.
- Landlord approval if you rent - please verify with your landlord what breed or size restrictions may be in place.
- Permission of all adults living at the residence
- Other animals residing with you must be current on vaccinations and dogs must be on heartworm prevention
Pet Adoption Fees
- Dogs over 15lbs - $99
- Puppies (6 months and younger) - $129
- Small Dogs 15lbs and under - $129
- Cats (up to 5 years) - $50
- Senior Cats (5+ years) - $25
- Kittens (6 months and younger) - $84
- Bunnies - $45 or 2 Bunnies - $65
- Guinea Pigs $20 or 2 guinea Pigs - $30
- Ferrets $89
- Hamsters/Rats/Gerbils - $10
- Call for information on animals not listed here.
- Special Senior Citizen (60 yrs +) No charge for an animal 7 yrs or older.
- 50% of adoption fees waived for military personnel and veterans. (proof of eligibility required)
- A second dog or puppy, adopted within 30 days of the first adoption is adoptable at a $20 discount.
- A second cat or kitten, when adopted within 30 days, is free!
- Any dog/puppy adopted at the same time as a cat/kitten will be adoptable at a $20 discount.
CAP adoption fees include a variety of services - age-appropriate vaccinations, canine heartworm and feline leukemia tests, spaying/neutering, deworming treatment, microchipping to name a few - the total value of which exceeds $450. In addition, these minimal adoption fees cover only part of the each animal's stay at our shelter - please help us keep adoption fees low while maintaining the high quality of care for the animals in our charge by donating and/or volunteering.