We look forward to seeing you at the shelter!
Adoption Lobby Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday 12pm - 5pm; Friday, Saturday & Sunday 11am - 5pm
For complete hours and directions visit: Hours / Map
Citizens for Animal Protection (CAP) welcomes potential adopters on a walk-in basis. Face masks are encouraged.
|View Adoptable Pets|
|Our website updates in real-time, so if you see a pet listed then they are available for adoption. As soon as an adoption is completed, the pet will be removed from the website|
|dogs and puppies|
|Pet Adoption Applications|
|We do not accept/approve applications online, but you are welcome to print and complete an application to bring with you when you visit.|
Small animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, other small animals, birds)
Pet Adoption Fees
CAP adoption fees include a variety of services - age-appropriate vaccinations, canine heartworm, and feline leukemia tests, spaying/neutering, deworming treatment, microchipping to name a few - the total value of which exceeds $450. These minimal adoption fees cover only part of each animal's stay at our shelter - please help us keep adoption fees low while maintaining the high quality of care for the animals in our charge by donating and/or volunteering.
Call for information on animals not listed here.
|A second dog or puppy, adopted within 30 days of the first adoption receives a $20 discount.|
|Dogs (over 25 lbs)||$110|
|Puppies (6 months & younger)||$150|
|Small dogs (25 lbs & under)||$150|
A second cat or kitten, when adopted within 30 days is free
|Cats (6 months - 5 years)||$55|
|Kittens ( 6 months & younger)||$90|
|Senior Cats (5+ years)||$30|
|Rabbit (2 for $80)||$60|
|Guinea Pig (one)||$25|
|Guinea Pigs (two)||$30|
|Hamsters and Gerbils (can adopt 2 for 1)||$5|
- Seniors for Seniors - Special Senior Citizen (60 yrs +) No charge for an animal 7 yrs or older.
- Military Families & First Responders - 50% of adoption fees waived for military personnel, veterans and first responders (proof of eligibility required).
- Any dog/puppy adopted at the same time as a cat/kitten will be adoptable at a $20 discount.
* Only one discount may be applied to each adoption.
West Houston Subaru is sponsoring the adoption fees for all special needs pets in 2023!
Pet Adoption Requirements
- 18 years of age with a current Drivers License or ID
- Proof of current address - Drivers License, Utility Bill, Mail, Car Insurance, etc.
- Landlord approval if you rent - please verify with your landlord what breed or size restrictions may be in place.
- Permission of all adults living at the residence
- Other animals residing with you must be current on vaccinations and dogs must be on heartworm prevention
Foster to Adopt Program (FTA)
Our Foster to Adopt program is designed to help families learn if one of our cats or dogs is a good fit for their family before committing to adoption. FTA participants must have a completed adoption application on file, live within 30 miles of the shelter, be over the age of 25 years with a current driver's license, have landlord approval if applicable, have approval of all adults in the home, and other animals in the home must be current on vaccinations and proper preventative. A $25 processing fee will be charged and cannot be credited toward the adoption fee of the animal.
Participants are allowed to foster the animal for 72 hours and must return the animal to the shelter after the alloted 72 hours to either complete the adoption process or return the animal to be placed back up for adoption. Each animal released into the participants' care temporarily is legally owned by Citizens for Animal Protection (CAP), and CAP has the right to redeem the animal at any time and/or discontinue the participants' involvement in the FTA program.
Animals available for the FTA program:
- Only cats and dogs
- The animal must be over the age of 4 months
- The animal must be fully vaccinated, altered, and microchipped
- Only animals that have been available for adoption at the shelter longer than 3 weeks are eligible
CAP works with everyone who is interested in adopting an animal and giving it a new forever home, however, CAP does reserve the right to refuse an adoption application for reasons including, but not limited to: falsified information on the application, current identification and address cannot be verified or if the adoption is not in the best interest of the animal and the adopter. Información de adopción española